Tuesday, November 4, 2008

I Voted in Louisiana This Morning

votedI awakened at 5:05 a.m., rechecked the ballot information (props and amendments), did a little last minute meditation or second evaluation on whether I'd vote for Scalise or Harlan to permanently replace Bobby Jindal, wrestled with which judge for the state Supreme Court, rechecked state amendments and local propositions, got my daughter up because this would be her first time voting, dressed, and grabbed my cup of coffee. From the time we arrived at the polls until we stood in the booths was about 90 minutes. Boy do my feet hurt! But it's less time than I thought it would be.

I wanted to participate in early voting, which ended last Tuesday. However, due to a family emergency, I couldn't make it to the polls before the deadline.

While in the line I heard some African-Americans discuss their fears that the election may be rigged, but everything at my precinct went smoothly. One young man, an African-American and first time voter, complained about the long wait and said, "I don't care about anything else on the ballot. Just let me get in there to vote for Barack!."

A white woman with her husband struck up a conversation with me and told me how nervous she was about the election, that she'd been praying for God to work it all out. She kept saying, "Whatever happens, it's in God's hands." Then she showed me a picture of her 4-year-old black Terrier that she called her baby, and we discussed Rep. William Jefferson's explanation of how all that money ended up in his freezer. Nobody seemed to buy his story.

The poll workers went down the long line making sure people knew in which line they actually belonged, and I was happy to learn my daughter and I could move to a much shorter line. I saw workers escort a man pushing a woman in a wheelchair in so she could vote. When she got to the both, they collapsed it partially so she could reach the selections. Later workers spotted a young, black pregnant woman a few people behind me in the line. She was so big she looked like she was gonna blow, and they moved her and her family to the head of the line.

A family with a young child was also allowed to move ahead. The girl was probably about 3 feet tall and wore a hot pink jacket with a hood rimmed in fake white fur. She went in the booth with her father.

Later a young black guy emerged from a booth after voting, flipped open his cell phone, and started filming the crowd. A worker told him he wasn't allowed to do that, and his departure, which was quite peaceful, was the most excitement of the morning.

It's over. YAY! I'm done. I've got my "I voted" sticker and later I'll mosey on over to Starbucks for my free cup of coffee. Can't wait to see the results later tonight.

Like Oprah, I don't need to tell you for whom I voted to be President of the United States. Y'all know.

No comments: